Maika, Inc. provides access to safe shelters and other
required support services to victims of domestic abuse and violence among
immigrant population of all origins, especially South Asian and Middle-Eastern
communities. Maika supports women to be autonomous through a full array of
assistance measures including emergency shelter, transitional housing,
education, counseling, assisting with job search and legal aid.
To develop culturally specific strategies to prevent and
stop domestic violence and abuse in all communities. More specifically we aim
- Develop awareness among different communities
about the existence of domestic violence and abuse existing within their
- Educate the community about the long-term
negative psychological and emotional impact on the children growing up in
- Develop a support system through the religious
leaders of each faith group within their respective community.
- Develop community outreach programs to educate
adults of both genders about abusive versus healthy relationships.
- Empower women to stand up and lead independent
lives free from abuse and domestic violence.
- Overcome language and cultural barriers that
exist for victims.
- Assist mainstream services be more accessible
and help public agencies with cultural sensitivities of the families.